Sales tax reimbursement to vehicle manufacturer after restitution under express warranty
- Notwithstanding Part 1 (commencing with Section 6001) of Division 2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, the State Board of Equalization shall reimburse the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle for an amount equal to the sales tax or use tax which the manufacturer pays to or for the buyer or lessee when providing a replacement vehicle pursuant to subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2 or includes in making restitution to the buyer or lessee pursuant to subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, when the manufacturer provides satisfactory proof that it has complied with subdivision (c) of Section 1793.23, and satisfactory proof is provided for one of the following:
- The retailer of the motor vehicle for which the manufacturer is making restitution has reported and paid the sales tax on the gross receipts from the sale of that motor vehicle.
- The buyer of the motor vehicle has paid the use tax on the sales price for the storage, use, or other consumption of that motor vehicle in this state.
- The lessee of the motor vehicle has paid the use tax on the rentals payable from the lease of that motor vehicle.
- The State Board of Equalization may adopt rules and regulations to carry out, facilitate compliance with, or prevent circumvention or evasion of, this section.
- This section shall not change the application of the sales and use tax to the gross receipts, the rentals payable, and the sales price from the sale, lease, and the storage, use, or other consumption, in this state of tangible personal property pursuant to Part 1 (commencing with Section 6001) of Division 2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.
- The manufacturer’s claim for reimbursement and the State Board of Equalization’s approval or denial of the claim shall be subject to the provisions of Article 1 (commencing with Section 6901) of Chapter 7 of Part 1 of Division 2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, except Sections 6907 and 6908, insofar as those provisions are not inconsistent with this section.
- For purposes of this section, the amount of use tax that the State Board of Equalization is required to reimburse the manufacturer shall be limited to the amount of use tax the manufacturer is required to pay to or for the lessee pursuant to Section 1793.2.